Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Paper Ornaments for Kids

I have decided that for the month of December I am going to do at least one holiday-related project with Lily (and then blog about it). This week we made ornaments! It took me a bit to think up a way for a 2 1/2 year old to make her own ornaments, but this is what I came up with, and she did do quite a bit of the work all by herself!



Paper Ornaments

Materials:

Green construction paper
Red washable paint
1-2 Q-tips
Scissors
Cotton balls
Stapler 
Twine or other string

First, get a smock on that kid if you want less mess to clean up. Give them the paper, paint, and a Q-tip and instruct them to make little red dots on the paper- these dots will represent ornaments on a tree, or berries on a wreath. (Lily insisted I make one, too. You can see the side-by-side of our dot work in the top right corner of image below). Allow paint to dry, then using something to create the desired shape, such as a stencil (I used a wooden shape), trace a Christmas tree or wreath onto the polka-dotted paper. Or, if you have some artistic talent, draw it free hand- the shapes just have to match up exactly so that they can be stapled together.


Next, place a couple of pieces of cotton between 2 of the cut-out shapes, then staple closed, as if you are making a little paper pillow. Staple a looped piece of string to the top so it can be hung from a tree branch. Add glitter glue, sequins, or other adornments if desired.

Lily added some glitter glue drops, and she really had fun with that- so much so, that she decided to decorate the packaging from said glitter glue.

Decorating her ornament

Decorating her piece of trash

I made one shaped like a wreath, but as stuffing I thought it would be clever and less wasteful to use crumpled up scrap paper, and it turned out just as well. So feel free to stuff your ornaments using either method. 



This is a fun and easy project for kids 2 years or older. Have fun!     

Shared at:



6 comments:

  1. Very cute IDEA. Thanks so much for sharing at our Pin It linky party this week @Pounds4Pennies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like she had a great time! I thinking I might break out the crafts with my boys soon...they turn two next week. We've only done a little bit so far as managing their mess is always entertaining. :) I'd love for you to share your holiday projects at my Season's Best {Christmas} Link-Up.

    http://www.fullhands-fullhearts.com/2012/11/seasons-best-christmas-link-up.html

    Hope to return to Sweet Saturday soon as I have some Christmas recipes planned. The holiday (and boys' birthday) has my blogging seriously slacking lately. :)

    Thanks so much!
    Holli

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really looks like a fun time for your little one. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Found you VIA the Aloha Bog Hop...i'm excited to keep reading your blog...new follower :)

    lolalucy09.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked up the explanation for Bubble and squeak in Wikipedia and added it tot he recipe but I wanted to get it directly to you.

    "Bubble and squeak is a traditional English dish made with the shallow-fried leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. The main ingredients are potato and cabbage, but carrots, peas, brussels sprouts, and other vegetables can be added. The dish is so named because it makes bubbling and squeaking sounds during the cooking process,[1] and the cold chopped vegetables (and cold chopped meat if used) are fried in a pan together with mashed potatoes or crushed roast potatoes until the mixture is well-cooked and brown on the sides. It is often served with cold meat from the Sunday roast, and pickles or brown sauce." Wikipedia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me! I always like to learn something new :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and always want to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...